Good morning internet,
Today, I wanted to share with you all some scary yet vital information regarding counterfeit cosmetics being sold online as we speak. Before I get into the gritty details though I would like to say thank you to all of you who read these posts and send me positive words of encouragement. This blog has given me a place to be myself and most importantly to help others which has always been my ultimate goal. I want to push myself until the end of the year and try to get a post up everyday! So look forward to a flood of content from me! Okay, on to the heart of this article.
As some of you may know, I run a YouTube channel under the same name as this blog and when a fellow YouTuber friend of mine recently asked us to raise awareness on this subject I couldn’t turn a blind eye. Fake makeup hauls from Aliexpress, Ebay and the like are flooding YouTube right now, and what scares me the most is that viewers are often times impressionable young girls unaware of the dangers that lurk inside these knock-off cosmetics. And the purchase of these items isn’t simply driving millions of U.S. dollars out of the country, it is posing a serious health risk.
Our skin, the largest organ on our body, absorbs what we put on it and according to some sites, women take in 168 chemicals everyday in their personal care. While there are several existing debates as to how much, and what, the body absorbs, there is no denying the fact that illnesses have been on the rise since the increase of artificial ingredients in the 1950s. Can Cosmetics be absorbed into your Bloodstream? by biologist Lorraine Dallmeier is an extremely helpful article if you would like to read more and form your own opinion on this matter. Nevertheless, the presence of these six ingredients in counterfeit cosmetics is more than enough to cause alarm. So, what are they finding in fake-up (heh heh I shall coin this new term)?
Place of creation. Aren’t you just so eager to buy fake-up now? (Picture from Google images)
- Mercury: Ever heard the term “mad as a hatter”? Thank mercury for that! In the 1900s hatters worked with mercury while constructing hats and over time the exposure to mercury lead to a change in their demeanor…they went mad. This is when we noticed that mercury posed a serious threat to our bodies, and if you’re finding it in your makeup in 2016 THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! It can cause damage to the brain, kidneys, lungs and in some severe circumstances death. I’ll take my eye shadow without a side of death thank you very much.
Women waking up to pink and swollen eyes. (Picture courtesy of Google images)
Need I say more?! Lead can lead (ahh the homograph hehe) to abdominal pain, confusion, headache, anemia and irritability in small dosages. In larger, more severe cases, it can cause seizures, a coma and even death. Pregnant women exposed to lead are at risk of a miscarriage or premature birth. Is the $15 dollar fake Urban Decay Naked 3 pallet worth that? No, I think not.
- Arsenic: Exposure to this deadly ingredient increases your chance of skin and lung cancer with a shot of damage to the kidneys and bladder. It increases risk of damage to a developing fetus and can even cause, you guessed it, death. I know, I’m starting to sound repetitious but tis the truth. I’d like to think of it as a kind reminder from a friend of why these things are banned from our products!!! 😉
- Cyanide: Whenever I think of cyanide, I think of those women who slowly poison their hubbys to collect on life insurance. Remind me why it’s showing up in my mascara?! I’m such a glass half full kind of gal. 😉 Cyanide can cause depression of the central nervous system leading to respiratory arrest and…death. Shocker. It also comes with a friend called, “damage to your vital organs like the heart”.
Skin irritation and rashes are the least deadly of the possible outcomes but the most frequent. (Picture acquired from Google)
- Rat Droppings: No, the rats are not cute like the ones from Ratatouille. Yes, their feces is harmful to us. And yes, I, too, wonder why Disney thought it was a great idea to have rats preparing meals for ravenous guests. Aside from my pondering, this is what the CDC says about exposure to droppings. It can lead to one of three exciting illness with the first being Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome or HPS. Second, is the development of Leptospirosis in which humans display high fever, chills, jaundice, and red eyes just to name a few of the minor symptoms. Lastly, exposure to rat feces can potentially cause Eosinophillic Meningitis or basically an infection of the brain associated with worms that enter the body. Sounds like a great spring break doesn’t it?!
- Human Urine: While I have yet to find any jarring side affects from this, I do know that urine is riddled with ammonia which is extremely bad for us. Whether or not this ammonia is still present in the cosmetic upon arrival I am unsure of but I am left with one vital question on my mind. How in the HELL is human urine getting inside knock-off M.A.C. and Benefit Mascaras?! Are they peeing in the bottle?! I think I’ll pass on human urine in my daily makeup routine.
👇If you’d like to see me talk about this live check out my video here:👇
I apologize if some of the images and information are scary in any way but I truly feel that we need to bring a stop to this madness. Our health and safety should always come first because we are only given one body. We might as well take care of it right?!
💌If you have any input leave a comment down below or make an article/video/post about this subject. If we work together would could raise awareness of the dangers of this fad.💌
💀Websites I referenced for this article and video:💀
In order from left to right: Ghost Town, Witchy Night, Twisted Tangerine, Bloody Beautiful, Vampy Vixen, Enchanted Goddess, Fantasy Fairy, and Zombie Queen.
Yesterday, as I circled the beauty area at my local Walgreens in search of the Milani foundation in my shade (and to no avail), I came across something that was far more exciting for me! Signal drum roll….the Jordana Sweet Cream Lip Colors in a limited edition Halloween collection. The colors were eye catching to say the least and I knew I had to pick some up. Especially at only $4.99 a piece!
Now, I had no idea how these were going to perform because I had never even heard of them before. I know, shame on me. I took a leap of faith though and snagged four of them. I purchased (in order from left to right in the picture to your left): Fantasy Fairy, Witchy Night, Zombie Queen, and Vampy Vixen. There were several other colors in the collection that I did not buy because I wanted to buy colors I knew I did not have in my collection.
Now, let’s talk about a few things:
- Color, color, color: The three shades on the left performed so well! They went on in one coat, and were very true to the tube with the exception of Zombie Queen looking a little more blue when applied. Vampy Vixen, however, did not live up to my expectations as it went on very streaky and left patches of dark and light on my lips even after a second coat. And no, I did not exile the poor darling to the right of the photo on purpose. Sheer accident, I promise. 😉
- Applicator: The doe foot applicator has a peculiar shape which I found to greatly aid in putting the lippie on straight out of the tube. It has a sort of heel on it that, I feel, helps to stabilize the hand as you swipe it across your lip. Check out my video below if you’d like to see exactly what I’m talking about.
- Price and quantity: Now, these are priced at $4.99, as mentioned above. With that being said you are only getting .11oz or 3 g of product here which is about half the size of a normal liquid lipstick. I do feel that the price could be lowered a bit because of simple math that I’ll break down for you… A Milani Amore Matte Lip Cream is $7.97 as its cheapest and you receive .21oz or 6 g of product. This lip cream is one of my favorites at the drugstore for the way it goes on and wears throughout the day. Now, Milani is a bit of a more “expensive” drugstore brand while Jordana is at the lower end with pricing. If I were to double the amount of product in the Jordana Sweet Cream Matte Liquid Lip Color it would put me at .22oz or 6 g of product but the price would be $9.98. This price comes in a lot higher than even Milani, who in my opinion, is up there with NYX. Now, why would I pay ten dollars for a product from a company who strives to put forward quality, low-priced items? As a smart consumer, I have to say that I am a bit unhappy with the amount of product and would like to see either a small price drop or a slight increase in the net weight. Sorry, Jordana!! Just my thoughts on the matter.
- Formulation: Moving on to a more positive note, I felt that the staying power and overall performance of this product rivals some of my favorite liquid lippies and am happy to see cruelty-free drugstore alternatives! The only time my color started to wear was at dinner when I was eating greasy tacos..yes greasy. 🙂 This, however, is normal for any liquid lip I have tried. I definitely recommend these if you’re in the market for some fun, vibrant colors!!
👇These are just a few of my thoughts on the product and if you’d like to see even more as well as how they look live check out my video below:👇
Earthling Beauty founder, Jill Volat, cultivating change at her non-profit The Edible Apartment based in LA, CA. *Photo courtesy of The Edible Apartment*
Today, I wanted to follow up with a video I made a few days ago reviewing a cruelty-free company called Earthling Beauty run by green beauty entrepreneur Jill Volat. They specialize in sourcing “organically grown ingredients from family owned farms and apiaries, the products are 100% natural, chemical & cruelty free and completely handmade”. The breakthrough skincare line also works alongside a non-profit organization, The Edible Apartment, that strives to create urban farms in the LA area. Not only is the skincare great but the morals behind the company make it a leader in the beauty industry.
After months of holding a microscope to the product and noting its triumphs and downfalls, I am happy to report that the positives far outweigh the negatives. I have given careful consideration to each individual product, its performance and price bracket, and truly feel that spending your hard earned money on products such as these are a dime well spent!
Here are a few reasons why I simply adore the line and why you should hop over to their site right now:
- INGREDIENTS: Not only can you pronounce everything on the label (How often can you say that?!) but all of the ingredients are locally sourced, organic and crystal infused for that extra little kick of positive vibes. ❤
- PRICE: The price mark is fair and you get what you pay for. Or in other words, the product to prize ratio is fitting, and you aren’t paying for some facial serum you found at your local Dollar Tree. It performs, smells amazing and leaves you feeling satisfied w
ith your purchase.
- GOOD CAUSES: Which leads me to my next point. Every time you reach for this product you know that a portion of your purchase will go directly their sister non-profit, The Edible Apartment. That means more fruits and veggies for the locals and a pat on the back for you. How many beauty companies nowadays run and fund (heh) a non-profit organization? Their are so many people right now living in food deserts without access to fresh produce and if every company took a step like this we would all be stepping over tomatoes and basil. 🙂
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: The owner, Jill Volat, who I was lucky enough to meet at BeautCon LA, is diligent in responding to any issues with her products and engages with her customers on social media. When I pointed out in my video a small issue with labeling she was quick to respond to the problem and has since fixed it. The issue being labeling Vegan and Non-Vegan products. Needless to say, she is a remarkable woman who runs both companies and has a clear vision of what green beauty is supposed to be. #goals
- PERFORMANCE: Last but certainly not least, the products themselves are worth this entire article. I have noticed a significant change in the way my skin feels after using the amazing Glam Jam. My once dry cracked heels soak it up like sponge and my feet have never been happier. My lips are hydrated, less cracked and supple even after a long day of the most drying liquid lipstick! The LOVE potion leaves my under eye area feeling rejuvenated and my hair look radiant. And the Sugar Scrub, which they are bringing back to their site soon, has pushed me to realize the importance of removing dead skin in a natural way. Can you tell I’m in love?
🌹If you are in the market for some earth loving, crystal infused and cruelty-free skincare I highly recommend this brand. With the holidays coming up why not indulge in some awesome self-care goodies! I would like to thank Jill for allowing me the humbling experience of reviewing her product and in responding to my issues in a prompt, professional manner. Also, thank you for what you accomplish with both of these amazing companies and for setting an example I hope to see many follow. 🌹
👇Watch me review the product live: 👇
I have been a passionate Vegan for over two years now, and when I initially began “transitioning” my main focus was what I was intaking and consuming diet wise. The thought of animal testing in the make-up products I used hadn’t crossed my mind seeing as images of poor baby chicks getting blended to death, and pigs being scalded alive filled my head. I’m not sure why it took so long for me to come to the realization that the animal testing defenseless bunnies, guinea pigs and mice fall victim to is just as important to me as what the farm animals are going through. I can only say that this event, this decision in my life has changed the way I see the beauty industry forever.
Due to this change, I decided to purge my existing make-up and to go 100% Cruelty-Free!! 💯*Signal round of applause*💯 🙂 It was neither an easy process nor a quick one as I had quite a bit to go through but I couldn’t be happier! Anytime I reach for a product in my collection I have the satisfaction and gratitude in knowing no animal had to die in order for me to use it. I used the help of a very resourceful website called Crueltyfreekitty.com for the bulk of my items and I highly recommend this site if you are looking for cruelty free information. For my nail polish collection I used an equally amazing site entitled Ethicalelephant.com, and finally for my Korean make-up I used Koreanbeautylicious.blogspot.com. If not for these sites I’m sure my time would have been a lot longer!!
🐰I can’t begin to express the delight I feel in having done this, and I hope to inspire some of you to rethink the products you may love, the methods under which they are produced and how this small change can save so many lives. 🐰
💕👇Watch me complete this task and perhaps join in with me!!!👇💕
🐰Here is the list of the product I kept:🐰
- Sonia Kashuk
- Too Faced
- Dr. Jart
- Peri Pera
- Urban Decay
- LA Girl
- Jcat Beauty
- Bare Bones
☠Here is what had to go:☠
- Sephora Brand
- Skin 79
- Sally Hansen
- Sinful Colors (Owned by Revlon)
- YSL (Yves Saint Laurent)
🌺I want to say a huge thank you to all of the brands who are cruelty-free and produce amazing product. As you can see it was really right down the middle as far as what I kept and what needed to go. My list of “keeps” also included a lot of drugstore brands which can make going cruelty-free extremely feasible for younger women/men, teens, students, moms on a budget or anyone really. I truly believe that each one of us can make a difference one small ripple at a time. 🌺