Good morning internet,
Today, I wanted to share with you all some scary yet vital information regarding counterfeit cosmetics being sold online as we speak. Before I get into the gritty details though I would like to say thank you to all of you who read these posts and send me positive words of encouragement. This blog has given me a place to be myself and most importantly to help others which has always been my ultimate goal. I want to push myself until the end of the year and try to get a post up everyday! So look forward to a flood of content from me! Okay, on to the heart of this article.
As some of you may know, I run a YouTube channel under the same name as this blog and when a fellow YouTuber friend of mine recently asked us to raise awareness on this subject I couldn’t turn a blind eye. Fake makeup hauls from Aliexpress, Ebay and the like are flooding YouTube right now, and what scares me the most is that viewers are often times impressionable young girls unaware of the dangers that lurk inside these knock-off cosmetics. And the purchase of these items isn’t simply driving millions of U.S. dollars out of the country, it is posing a serious health risk.
Our skin, the largest organ on our body, absorbs what we put on it and according to some sites, women take in 168 chemicals everyday in their personal care. While there are several existing debates as to how much, and what, the body absorbs, there is no denying the fact that illnesses have been on the rise since the increase of artificial ingredients in the 1950s. Can Cosmetics be absorbed into your Bloodstream? by biologist Lorraine Dallmeier is an extremely helpful article if you would like to read more and form your own opinion on this matter. Nevertheless, the presence of these six ingredients in counterfeit cosmetics is more than enough to cause alarm. So, what are they finding in fake-up (heh heh I shall coin this new term)?
- Mercury: Ever heard the term “mad as a hatter”? Thank mercury for that! In the 1900s hatters worked with mercury while constructing hats and over time the exposure to mercury lead to a change in their demeanor…they went mad. This is when we noticed that mercury posed a serious threat to our bodies, and if you’re finding it in your makeup in 2016 THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! It can cause damage to the brain, kidneys, lungs and in some severe circumstances death. I’ll take my eye shadow without a side of death thank you very much.
Need I say more?! Lead can lead (ahh the homograph hehe) to abdominal pain, confusion, headache, anemia and irritability in small dosages. In larger, more severe cases, it can cause seizures, a coma and even death. Pregnant women exposed to lead are at risk of a miscarriage or premature birth. Is the $15 dollar fake Urban Decay Naked 3 pallet worth that? No, I think not.
- Arsenic: Exposure to this deadly ingredient increases your chance of skin and lung cancer with a shot of damage to the kidneys and bladder. It increases risk of damage to a developing fetus and can even cause, you guessed it, death. I know, I’m starting to sound repetitious but tis the truth. I’d like to think of it as a kind reminder from a friend of why these things are banned from our products!!! 😉
- Cyanide: Whenever I think of cyanide, I think of those women who slowly poison their hubbys to collect on life insurance. Remind me why it’s showing up in my mascara?! I’m such a glass half full kind of gal. 😉 Cyanide can cause depression of the central nervous system leading to respiratory arrest and…death. Shocker. It also comes with a friend called, “damage to your vital organs like the heart”.
- Rat Droppings: No, the rats are not cute like the ones from Ratatouille. Yes, their feces is harmful to us. And yes, I, too, wonder why Disney thought it was a great idea to have rats preparing meals for ravenous guests. Aside from my pondering, this is what the CDC says about exposure to droppings. It can lead to one of three exciting illness with the first being Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome or HPS. Second, is the development of Leptospirosis in which humans display high fever, chills, jaundice, and red eyes just to name a few of the minor symptoms. Lastly, exposure to rat feces can potentially cause Eosinophillic Meningitis or basically an infection of the brain associated with worms that enter the body. Sounds like a great spring break doesn’t it?!
- Human Urine: While I have yet to find any jarring side affects from this, I do know that urine is riddled with ammonia which is extremely bad for us. Whether or not this ammonia is still present in the cosmetic upon arrival I am unsure of but I am left with one vital question on my mind. How in the HELL is human urine getting inside knock-off M.A.C. and Benefit Mascaras?! Are they peeing in the bottle?! I think I’ll pass on human urine in my daily makeup routine.
👇If you’d like to see me talk about this live check out my video here:👇
I apologize if some of the images and information are scary in any way but I truly feel that we need to bring a stop to this madness. Our health and safety should always come first because we are only given one body. We might as well take care of it right?!
💌If you have any input leave a comment down below or make an article/video/post about this subject. If we work together would could raise awareness of the dangers of this fad.💌
💀Websites I referenced for this article and video:💀
- The very real danger of fake cosmetics from China
- Women who discovered the danger of fake cosmetics
- 13 Terrifying Dangers of Counterfeit Makeup
- Rat Droppings
- Cyanide Facts
- Can cosmetics be absorbed into the bloodstream?